The Marumi Filter DHG Grey Variable is a variable grey filter with a diameter of 72 mm. Gray filters are available in various strengths, for example ND2 (1 stop), ND4 (2 stops), ND8 (3 stops) et cetera. A variable ND filter is composed of two polarizing filters which can be rotated against each other. This way you can set the intensity of all wavelengths or colors of light, giving no changes in hue of color rendition. A single variable ND filter can therefore replace a series of normal ND filters, which makes the filter more suitable to use. When turning the filter, you can adjust the intensity of all wavelengths or colors of light from ND2 till ND400 (1 till 8 stops).
With a grey filter, the following effects can be realized:
- Blurring the motion of water (e.g. waterfalls, rivers, oceans), see photo 3
- Reducing the depth of field in very bright light (e.g. daylight)
- Using a wider aperture to stay below the diffraction limit
- Reducing the visibility of moving objects
- Add motion blur to subjects